Diabetes Physical Activity Program – Who is eligible?
Open to people living with Type 2 Diabetes in Hamilton. Prior to attending the physical activity program, clients are assessed by the Diabetes Nurse first.
Please call (905) 523-1184 to inquire about eligibility.
Goals of Program:
An educational and activity program that is designed to encourage people living with Type 2 Diabetes to increase their daily physical activity. This leads to improvements in health by decreasing weight and waist circumference, and increasing the uptake of glucose in the muscles, among other health outcomes. Clients who join this group are offered a variety of low-impact activities in a group or individual setting, to help them achieve their personal fitness goals.
- To provide supervision of goal setting and appropriate activities, resulting in increased participant self-confidence in performing activities.
- Regular, moderate physical activity helps to lower blood glucose levels, promote weight loss, reduce stress and enhance fitness.
Description of Program:
The program provides:
- An Initial Assessment with a Diabetes Nurse for gym clearance
- An Initial Assessment with the Kinesiologist for fitness assessment after gym clearance
- Individual exercise program
- At home exercise program option
- Group Exercise opportunities which include : Aqua Fitness/Sit Fit/Tai Chi/Yoga