MULTICULTURAL HEALTH SERVICES
Open to immigrants and refugees. Program is beneficial for integration into the community.
North Hamilton Community Health Centre (438 Hughson St. North)
Meetings available by appointment, drop-in, or phone call.
Goal of Program:
- To assist refugees and new immigrants
Description of Program (activities, participants, etc.):
- Settlement and integration needs (i.e., housing, clothing, information regarding community resources)
- Health services
- Health education and prevention
- Community capacity building
- Advocacy for issues related to immigration and refugee rights, social assistance, employment, etc.
- Cultural interpretation (translation)
- Written translations (health related issues)
- Working closely with and attending regular meetings of the Twinning Program
- Assessment of Ecumenical Support Committee for Refugee - loan applications for landing processing fee and family reunification expenses
- Public education (immigrant and refugee experience)
- Membership in refugee organizations
- Providing consultation about the issues of refugees and immigrants
- Networking with other agencies dealing with diverse communities
- Booking appointments - new patients - or follow up, medical immigration and Spanish counseling
- Filling out forms: E.I., W.I.S.B., refugee, immigration and citizenship applications.
- Training and supervision of volunteer interpreters
- Application for new business
- Specialized services for refused refugee claimants
For more information, please contact: Nora Melara-Lopez: 905-523-6611 ext. 2012